Schengen Multiple-Entry Visa Rules Simplified
Most of us know that an entry visa is needed to enter the Schengen area in the European Union (EU). What was unknown until recently was how the visa procedure worked if a person wanted to visit the Schengen zone more than one time, within a given time frame. This is when the concept of ”multiple visit visa” comes into play. We explain to you what a Schengen multiple-entry visa is, the kinds of Schengen multiple-entry visa’s that are existent and the criteria is to apply for a specific Schengen multiple-entry visa.
What is a Schengen multiple-entry visa?
A Schengen multiple entry visa is the permission given to enter the Schengen area more than once, during a specific period.
A multiple-entry Schengen visa permits its holder to go in and out of the Schengen area as many times as he or she wants, providing they do not remain in the Schengen zone longer than 90 days, within 180 days.
Example: You can Stay in the Schengen zone from 01 Jan-30 March, during the period 01 Jan-30 June.
What kind of Schengen multiple-entry visas are existent?
- 1 Year Schengen multiple-entry visa
- 2 Year Schengen multiple-entry visa
- 5 Year Schengen multiple-entry visa
What are the main criteria to get the Schengen multiple-entry visa?
A first time visitor to the Schengen zone will be usually getting a single entry (person can enter the Schengen zone only once during the visa period) for that specific Schengen country or the Schengen zone. If the visit is being repeated, the following can happen.
- If 3 lawful Schengen single entry visa’s are used within the previous 2 years, traveler will be eligible to apply for a 1 year Schengen multiple-entry visa.
- If a 1 year Schengen multiple-entry visa is used lawfully once within the previous 2 years, traveler will be eligible to apply for a 2 year Schengen multiple-entry visa.
- If a 2 year Schengen multiple-entry visa is used lawfully once within the previous 3 years, traveler will be eligible to apply for a 5 year Schengen multiple-entry visa.
What are the other criteria to get the Schengen multiple-entry visa?
Apart from the above mentioned main criteria, there are some other requirements to get Schengen multiple-entry visas too.
- The traveler must have a valid cause to enter the Schengen area multiple times in the coming year(s).
- The traveler must have a clean visa history, (He/she should not have overstayed the validity of a visa or worked illegally before in the Schengen area )
- Having a clean criminal record back at home.
- Must present traveler’s insurance for their first trip to the Schengen area under the multiple entry visa applied for.